Thursday, November 20, 2008

Textbooks :(

Reading textbooks is probably close to the most boring reading I have ever had to do. I have great respect for the writers of the books because they are well educated, well meaning individuals, at least I would guess they are; my problem with their product is just how dry and student unfriendly it is . They need a lesson from a good language arts teacher. If they got this, they might be able to produce a product that is slightly more captivating, and readable. I am not naive enough to think that textbooks should be so molded to fit the student that they do not have a professional air, but if they aren't captivating enough to at least keep the readers' attention, they don't accomplish even their primary goal: to make information stick in the heads of the students. A good language arts teacher could show the textbook writers how to use fun and creative word choice to spice up the pros. They could also teach them better sentence fluency, which, besides making the books more fun to read, would also make the meaning clearer. Many times I can recall I have had to comb through a textbook sentence multiple times just to understand its jumbled sentence structure. Textbooks are frustrating reading, but if they teamed up with a good LA teacher, I'm sure some significant progress could be made.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alex,
You have wonderful blogs. I enjoy reading your comments because they are well written and very thoughtful. I particularly like this comment about textbooks. Send a letter to the editor of one; see if you get a response! By the way, you use commas and semi-colons perfectly!