Tuesday, January 13, 2009

magazines

For the past few years, I've had a subscription to the Atlantic monthly. For the past few months, I've had a subscription to the Economist weekly. Both of these publications I enjoy reading very much. I am always very apprehensive for Mondays when the Economist comes and I get to see what the headlines are and take a quick look at the articles for the week. They mainly are on foreign affairs, but there is always a very interesting technology section and a section devoted to an interesting person who has died. For example, the issue before Christmas profiled a man who had had a lobotomy because he had been having up to 11 seizures per week. After the procedure he only had 2 seizures for the next year, but he was also incapable of forming new memories. He had had the operation when he was 16 years old, my age, so he only remembered things that happened before he was 16. He died last year at the age of 91. That's 75 years of only remembering years 1 through 16. In the Atlantic, they have a very eclectic mix of topics. This makes receiving the next issue especially fun because I never know what I am going to get. For example, last issue, they had a transcription of an interview between one of the Atlantic correspondents and the man who is in charge of holding all of the US's debt in China. They also have articles on interesting parts of the world and unique foods. I spend a lot of time reading these, but at least it gives me a reason to look forward to Mondays.

No comments: