Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sinclair Louis

I recently finished a book by Sinclair Lewis, a Minnesotan author from Sauk Center, called Babbit. It is about a man in the early 1900s who is very discontent with his life and the social demands of his very conformist "friends." It was a pretty good book, but it lacked a solid plot. I read it because my dad recommended it. I am now onto a book called Main Street, also by Sinclair Lewis. I started it the same day that I finished Babbit. I am, however, finding that what I wrote for my blog a few weeks ago, called Picking a Good Book, is once again coming true. While I do like Main Street, I am finding that the writing is so similar that it is almost as if I am reading a sequel to Babbit, that has slightly different characters. For example, Main Street is also about demands of society in which the main character feels out of place. The thoughts of the main character are similar to those of Babbit, and it seems the only difference between the two protagonists is gender. I found out by reading The Winter of Our Discontent, that huge changes in writing style and content can be hard on a reader; now I'm also finding that too little change can also be tolling.

No comments: