Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Life as Bread

I am comparable to a slice of bread. For simple reasons, such as my fondness of bread, but also for deeper reasons comparing how varied bread is from loaf to loaf, and how my mood and my life vary from day to day.
I have loved bread for my entire life, and have eaten a lot of it. Perhaps that is why bread and I are so similar. Both of us grow brown in excessive heat. With enough heat, bread turns a golden brown color, similarly with enough sun, I turn a shade close to that loaf. More deeply however, enough heat can also dry out a loaf of bread and make it chewy and tough. When I am stressed, feeling the heat of life, when, for example, I have a lot of homework, or when things aren't turning out the way I'd like, I also tend to feel dry, worn out, like that overcooked loaf of bread. Comparable to how that burned loaf is chewy and unpleasant to eat, I am tough and unpleasant to be around when the heat of life it turned up to high, or when I’m subjected to it for too long. But just like bread, when all of the ingredients of my being are mixed to pleasing proportions, the consistency of my life is like that warm, soft loaf - satisfying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very clever, Alex. Nicely done!