Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Internet

This year, as much as any, I have used the Internet to get information instead of other sources like books and magazines. This may not be a good thing, an article published in the July/August issue of the Atlantic titled Is Google Making Us Stupid? argues. It says that because people have gotten used to the quick switching of directions and tasks that the Internet allows, they are not able to read books and longer pieces of literature. I have not noticed this at all, but I've had the Internet at my disposal for as long as I have been able to comprehend the meaning of words. I will never know how I have been adversely affected by the Internet. Perhaps if I had never known of the internet then I would be able to concentrate on longer pieces of literature for a longer time, but even if this is true, would it be worth it? It seems to me that the answer to this question is unequivocally no. The ease with which it is possible to fetch useful information on the web is mindboggling. I have the ability to gain any piece of knowledge at the click of a mouse. I would not give this up in order to be able to read at greater length. But I'll never know if the Internet has cursed me in this way.

No comments: